We have already covered an article on the best Mouse Poison and Pellets and in today’s article, you will read about how to get rid of mosquitoes using homemade repellent.
Not only can insects and mosquitoes be a nuisance in your home as well as a garden, but they can annoy you and ruin a perfect hike or picnic. Here are a few totally Chemical free and home made Mosquito Repellants to control insects, ants, bugs, mosquitoes and other pests without using toxic chemicals.
Editor’s Recommendation: Want to get rid of Pantry Moths? Check out some of the best Pantry Moth Traps to get rid of them.
Natural Bug and Insect Repellents Remedies
There are plenty of herbs and their essential oil which can be used as insect repellents. Moreover, they are 10 times more effective than DEET.
- Lemon Eucalyptus
- Neem Oil
Below we are describing some of theses essential oil than can repellent insects and mosquitoes, with complete instructions.
Lavender smells great and you can use lavender essential oil as a mosquito repellent. It’s best diluted in a carrier oil and if you can find organic soy oil, that’d be great.
How to use Lavender oil as an insect repellent?
- Take 30 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- Rub on your exposed skin.
Lavender has antiseptic and analgesic qualities. This means it helps in preventing mosquito bites as well as it soothes the skin.
If you like to eat garlic in your Meal then it’s good for you because eating lots of fresh garlic helps to get rid of mosquitoes and bugs.
According to a research done by Iowa State University, which found that the Catnip and the essential oil of catnip are 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes.
How to Use Catnip Oil as Bug Repellent
- Take 20-30 drops of Catnip essential oil
- Now, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Apply this mixture on your exposed skin.
4. Cinnamon Oil
In a research held in Taiwan, cinnamon essential oil was shown to be effective when used as a bug, mosquito and insect repellent. Moreover, It can also kill mosquito eggs.
Instruction to use Cinnamon Oil as Repellent
- You have to make a solution diluted 1% by v/v.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of oil for every 4 ounces of water.
If you are wondering why you should dilute the solution, it is because the Concentrated dose of oil on your skin can be irritating.
You can spray the fluid onto your skin or clothing, around your home, and onto upholstery or plants.
5. Neem oil or neem seed oil
According to a study by the US National Research Council, neem oil is more effective than DEET.
It was confirmed by scientists at the Malaria Institute in India and in research cited in the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association.
Neem is a plant that grows in India.
6. Pepper Spray
If you garden is full of ants and you want to get rid of ants (black or red.. no matter) then try this remedy for ants.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Now, add ½ to 2/3 cup of chopped hot pepper and let it marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Separate the peppers from the mixture.
- Put the mixture in a squirt bottle and use when or where necessary.
- Be careful, Do not spray directly on foliage.
7. Minty Soap Spray
This is one of the great remedies for ants.
- Take 2 gallons of water and Mix 2 tablespoon of Dr. Bonner’s mint soap in it.
- You can spray directly on ants or wherever it needed.
Note: Don’t spray it directly on your plants, because if too much is directly applied on plants it may burn them.
8. Chem-Free Bug Off Mist
- Make a mixture of tea tree oil ( a few drops ) and witch hazel, and add some lavender oil, or peppermint oil also in a squirt bottle.
- Spray on your body, Bugs would not mind to bug you.. 😛