Gardeners are always talking about beneficial insects. However, they don’t always tell what these insects are.
Here is a list of the insects you want hanging around your garden because they eat the bad insects and help provide the valuable nutrients your garden needs to thrive:
- Bees – We all know how important they are for pollination. Here’s more info on what happens when we kill all our bees.
- Wasps - They eat aphids, mites, whiteflies, caterpillar eggs, moth larvae, beetles and corn earwigs.
- Praying Mantis – these unusual looking bugs are great for controlling aphids.
- Ladybugs – These “ladies” of the garden control aphids, mealy bugs and mites.
- Beetles – particularly ground beetles, are fantastic for eating caterpillars, cut worms and even slugs.
- Spiders – They are extremely beneficial for eating a wide variety of pests.
- Green Lacewings – Consume aphids, mites and a variety of pest eggs.
- Earthworms – While they are not insects, I am still going to put them on the list. These guys do more for the garden then you may think. Providing nutrients, aerating the soil and controlling PH are just the beginning of their contribution.
By encouraging a few of natures most helpful insects you can not only control harmful pests but you can also grow your veggies organically.